Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers a Doctoral, Master's, Bachelor's and Associate's degree in Mathematics, a Bachelor's degree and Associates degree in Statistics and a Minor in Applied Mathematics.
- provides courses in mathematics and statistics that serve students in many fields, including engineering, education, health professions, business and the sciences,
- contributes to general education objectives,
- provides training in developmental mathematics for under-prepared students,
- supports the university, the community and the profession through a variety of service roles.
- maintains a highly trained and research-active faculty with a balanced commitment to teaching, research and service, and
- conducts research in pure and applied mathematics and statistics.
Effective Fall 2019:
- Math 0025 will no longer be offered on the Pocatello campus. Math 0015 and 0025 material can be completed through our Math 0090 course, Advanced Placement Mathematics. For more information on this course, click on 'Course Information' in the site menu.
- Math 1108, Intermediate Algebra, will no longer be computer-based.
- Math 1127, Language of Mathematics, will now run every other year.
- Math 1143, College Algebra, now fulfills Objective #3.
- Math 1144, Trigonometry, will no longer be offered in 8-week sections, during Spring and Fall semesters. 8-week sections are still offered during summer.
- Math 1147, Precalculus, now fulfills Objective #3.
- Math 1153, formerly titled 'Introduction to Statistics' will be titled 'Statistical Reasoning'. The course material has not changed.
- Course fees for some courses have changed. For updated fee amounts, please click on 'Course Information' in the site menu, above.
- Math 1160, formerly title 'Applied Calculus' will be titled 'Survey of Calculus'. The course material has not changed.
- 'P' Section changes for Math 1108, 1123, 1143 and 1153:
'P' sections are sections of a course in which the material for the course and the material for its immediate prerequisite are covered in the same course. Enrollment is subject to placement score eligibility and, at this time, are offered on the Pocatello campus only. Credit hours for some of the 'P' sections or 'P' courses have changed.
Math 1108: Math 1108, Intermediate Algebra, will offer 'P' sections, under this course number
Math 1123: 'P' sections of Math 1123, Math in Modern Society, will have their own course number. Rather than being a 'P' section under the course number Math 1123, the course number for the 'P' version of the course will be 'Math 1123P' and will have regular section numbers.
Math 1143: Math 1143, College Algebra, will offer 'P' sections, under this course number.
Math 1153: 'P' sections of Math 1153, Statistical Reasoning (formerly 'Introduction to Statistics), will have their own course number. Rather than being a 'P' section under the course number Math 1153, the course number for the 'P' version of the course will be 'Math 1153P' and will have regular section numbers.
For more information about 'P' sections or 'P' courses, please click on 'Course Information' in the site menu, above.
Effective July 1, 2018:
Department Chair: Dr. DeWayne Derryberry
Assistant Department Chair: Dr. Wenxiang Zhu
Graduate Director: Dr. Yunrong Zhu
Undergraduate Director: Dr. Tracy Payne
Effective Fall 2018:
Math 0015, Arithmetic/Pre-Algebra, will no longer be offered. Math 0015 material can be completed through our Math 0090 course. Form more information about Math 0090, please click on 'Course Information' in the site menu.
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8085
Pocatello, ID 83209
Office: PS 318
Classroom: REND 332
Tutoring: REND 323
Testing: REND 324
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8150
Pocatello, ID 83209-8150
Office: TAB 270
Location: CHE 220