Skip to main content

How to Apply for Exchange at ISU

Students from outside the United States who wish to study as an exchange student at ISU must submit the following application materials and documents:

Required Documents

  • An approval letter from your exchange coordinator authorizing your participation in study abroad
  • Official Transcript
  • 2 academic reference letters/forms (completed by a professor)
  • Evidence of medical insurance
  • An essay explaining on how the study abroad at experience will benefit you
  • English Proficiency -TOEFL (minimum score of 61 on computer exam) or IELTS (minimum score of overall 5.0), if applicable.


The Study Abroad Coordinator will review your application; if you are admitted, you will be sent an official acceptance letter and DS-2019 form to apply for your J-1 student exchange visa.

Incoming Exchange Students

If your home institution has an exchange agreement with Idaho State University, you should contact the study abroad or international office at your university to complete all application forms.

Once the application packet is completed, it must be sent directly to the International Programs Office at ISU.

ISU Partner Institutions

Studying at an ISU partner institution guarantees that all credits earned at ISU will transfer back to your home university.

ISU has agreements for students to study abroad at the following institutions:

  • ITESO University, Mexico
  • Kansai Gaidai University, Osaka, Japan
  • Karlstad University, Sweden
  • ORT University, Uruguay
  • Paderborn University, Germany
  • Plymouth University, England
  • Politecnica University of Valencia, Spain
  • UMEA University, Sweden
  • University of Burgundy, France
  • University of Valencia, Spain

Incoming Visiting Students

Incoming Visiting Students are students whose home institutions do not have an agreement with ISU.

If your home institution does not have an agreement, please contact the ISU International Programs Office at (208) 282-4320.

If you are a visiting student, then you will need to pay a $50 application fee. Tuition and other fees will apply.

 J-1 Insurance Requirements

Exchange Visitors are required, as a condition of their J-1 status in the U.S., to carry health insurance for themselves and their accompanying family members in J-2 status.

By government regulation, minimum insurance must provide coverage in the U.S. with the following conditions:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above.


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209

Discover opportunity at Idaho State University