Beverly B. Bistline Thrust Theatre
The Beverly B. Bistline Theatre’s “thrust” stage extends out, allowing up to 450 audience members to sit around it in an arc. That enables the audience to see all aspects of a performance. Generally, electronic amplification of actors’ voices is necessary in thrust theatres. While the Bistline Theatre offers the option of electronic amplification, the need should be rare due the theatre’s sound-reflecting panels in the rear walls and ceiling. The theatre also features removable flanking side walls that allow the backstage area to be architecturally masked, or to be coupled to the stage as performance space. The stage floor is constructed in removable sections as well.
- Community: Greater of $1,100 per day or 10% of gross ticket sales
- ISU Departments only: $500 per day
- Box Office Fee – 3% of gross ticket sales
- Ticket Printing - 10 cents per ticket
- Facility Maintenance Fee - $2.00 will be added to the face of each ticket for a facility maintenance fee
- Credit Cards – 3%
- Sales Tax – 6%
Front of House
- Ushers - $12.00 per hr.
- Ticket Takers - $12.00 per hr.
- Uniform Security - $52.00 per hr.
- Janitorial / Clean up - $15.00 per hr.
(Please Note: A three-hour minimum call is required for hourly employees)
- Stage Manager - $24.00 per hr.
- Lighting Tech / Sound Engineer - $24.00 per hr.
- Stagehands - $15.00 per hr.
- Electrician – $40.00 per hr.
- Spot Operators - $15.00 per hr.
- Fire Standby – To be Determined
(Please Note: House Stage Manager must be in attendance during all times when public is in attendance; Insurance regulations require that Center equipment be operated by Center employees; A three-hour minimum call is required for all hourly employees)
- Lighting Fee – Front of house lighting fee included in facility rental
- Spotlights - $100 per spot per performance
- General House Sound for Speaker – Included in facility rental
- Stage Communication System - $50 per performance; includes headsets
- Stage Monitor Speakers - $35 per unit
- Handheld Wireless Microphone - $35 per unit per day
- Piano – (9 ft. Steinway Concert Grand – Model D) - $225 (Includes tuning)
- Risers/Platforms - $12 per section
- Gaffer's Tape - per roll- $17.00
- Podium with Sound - $125.00
- Music Stand with Light - $2.00 per
- Marley Dance Floor - $100 per day plus labor for taping
- Skirted table with covered top - $10 per table
- Linen for tables - $4 per linen
- Music stands, chairs, and stools are free of charge as available
- Projector with screen - $150
- Video switcher - $150
The Bistline Thrust Theatre is a 430-seat state-of-the-art performance theatre located in Idaho State University's Stephens Performing Arts Center. The Stephens Performing Arts Center is subject to the practices and procedures set forth by the State Board of Education and Idaho State University. The following information is provided to help determine your costs in renting the Bistline Thrust Theatre. Scheduling and contracting are handled at the direction of the Director of Events for Idaho State University. Please contact (208) 282–3398 for a complete estimate of charges.
Scheduling the Bistline Thrust Theatre
Scheduling priority will be as follows:
- Academic use by Idaho State University
- Non-academic University-related use
- Non-educational community related events
- Commercial events
The Stephens Performing Arts Center will hold a potential performance date for 30 days. In order to finalize a hold date, a contract must be executed. A signed contract must be signed 30 days in advance of the performance or the date may be forfeited. When a facility hold is challenged, the party who placed the first hold will be given the right of first refusal and must secure the date with a deposit and signed contract within 48 hours.
The Stephens Performing Arts Center requires one-half the minimum rental fee as a deposit upon signing the rental contract. For free events, or if the Center is not providing ticketing services, the deposit may be the total rental fee. If you are a first time renter, you may also be required to pay estimated expenses in addition to rent at the time of the signing of the rental contract. In addition, first time renters must provide three references where they have promoted similar events in comparable types of facilities as the Jensen Grand Concert Hall within the past calendar year. Failure to provide references or an unfavorable report by a reference or other business contact will be sufficient grounds to deny use of the Stephens Performing Arts Center, and no contract will be executed.
All renters of the Stephens Performing Arts Center shall be required to furnish a Certificate of Insurance in which the State Board of Education and Idaho State University are named as additional insured parties. The minimum amount of the Combined Single Liability will be $1,000,000. The Director of Events shall have the discretion to reduce the required coverage or waive the required coverage. The CSL certificate shall be furnished within a reasonable time after the execution of the agreement of the rental contract, but not later than 10 days prior to the date of the first scheduled date.
If the renter fails to hold each event or events as specified by the agreement at the time agreed, the renter shall pay to the Stephens Performing Arts Center within 10 days of the contracted date a sum equal to the actual out-of-pocket expense incurred by the Center and lost rental income contracted for the event. The Center may retain all or part of the deposit to apply toward those expenses.
Rental Fees and Direct Event Charges
- Community: Applies to any Center use by a for-profit institute, agency, commercial promoter, business, private business, not-for-profit organization or municipal entity.
- ISU: Applies to any Center use by Idaho State University.
All facility personnel are scheduled and paid by the Stephens Performing Arts Center, unless otherwise negotiated in advance. Please note that a three-hour minimum call is required for hourly employees. Staffing levels to be determined by the Director of Events.
The sale of merchandise, souvenirs, or goods of any kind is subject to the approval of the Director of Events. All renters must set up and adhere to any space requirements prior to the opening of the doors. The Center will charge 20 percent (20%) commission of the net sales (sales after state sales tax) if the renter supplies the sales personnel and change fund(s), or 25 percent (25%) commission of net sales (sales after state sales tax) if the Center supplies the sales personnel and the change fund(s). Any merchandise placed on sale must be inventoried by the Director of Events or his designee before sales begin. Arrangements for such sales must be made at least one week prior to the event. The Center retains the exclusive right to sell food and or drink items and its own merchandise at all events without renter participation.
Contact the Director of Events at (208) 282–3398 for information.
Hospitality or Catering Services
Hospitality or catering services are exclusively proved by Chartwells Dining Service, located on the campus of Idaho State University. Contact Chartwells at (208) 282–5831 for information. Beer and wine can be available if approved for receptions, banquets and social events at the Stephens Performing Arts Center. An Alcohol Permit Application (.pdf) must be completed and returned to Chartwells Dining Service a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to the event in order for alcohol sales to be considered at the Stephens Performing Arts Center. Contact Chartwells at (208) 282–5831 for information.
Advertisement and Display of Signs
Renter will not be permitted to commence its advertising for its event until a fully executed contract has been executed. Renter shall not do nor permit to have done at the Stephens Performing Arts Center anything that would tend to injure, mar, or in any manner deface the premises. No nails, hooks, tacks, screws, or any other device may be driven or installed into or onto any part of the facility.
Renter shall not post nor exhibit any signs, advertisement, show bills, or posters of any description on any part of the premises at the Stephens Performing Arts Center except those that relate to the event in places designated by the Director of Events.
University Advancement will be permitted up to five days usage per year in the Jensen Grand Concert Hall rent-free. University Advancement will determine the users who in turn will be responsible for the direct facility expenses. Requests for these usage days are to be made to University Advancement.