Pharmacy Technology Program
The Pharmacy Technology program prepares graduates for positions working under the supervision of a licensed and registered pharmacist in retail and institutional pharmacy practice settings. Students completing the program will have a basic understanding of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, pharmacy law, and the therapeutic classification and use of the top-200 prescription drugs.
Students will develop skills in pharmaceutical preparation, maintaining patient profiles or records, sterile products preparation, performing stocking procedures, communication and computer operations to enter, store, and recall patient information.
Approximately 12-14 students are admitted to the program each fall semester. Course requirements prior to the technical pharmacy courses are open to all students who meet specific course prerequisites. The Advanced Technical Certificate can be obtained in 1.5 years and the Basic Technical Certificate can be completed in 1 year.
Idaho Median Income
National Median Income
- Program accepts students in August
- Requires 1 year to complete if prerequisites have been met (Fall semester, Spring semester, and Summer term)
- Divided into three components: seated and online instruction, laboratory demonstrations and practice, and practicum/externship placements
- Practicum/externship placements may require working evening or weekend hours
- Upon successful completion of the program, the student is prepared to sit for the Pharmacy Technician National Certification Exam
- Program requires the successful completion of 53 credit hours including prerequisites
- The Pharmacy Technology program is nationally accredited through the ASHP/ACPE Regulations of Pharmacy Technicians training programs. ASHP sets the standards to protect the public, serve a guide for pharmacy technician education and development, provide the criteria for evaluations of new and established training programs along with promoting continuous improvement established programs.
Basic Technical Certificate (BTC) (1 year)
- Course Sequence Basic Technical Certificate: Pharmacy Technology
Advanced Technical Certificate (ATC) (1.5 years)
- Course Sequence Advanced Technical Certificate: Pharmacy Technology
- Program Costs
With your Advanced Technical Certificate in Pharmacy Technology, national certification in the field, and some work experience, you may consider additional educational and career growth opportunities such as:
- an AS or AAS degree in a health occupations field.
- a BSHS degree that would open the way to managerial positions in health professions.
- post-graduate education in a number of health-related disciplines.
- Out-Patient Rehabilitation Clinics
- Hospital or other institutional settings
- High School Diploma or GED
- Students must be qualified for college level coursework in English and Math (See an advisor for details)
- Completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
- Completion of the following courses with a grade of C or better:
- HO 0106 Medical Terminology
- BT 0170 Introduction to Computers
Minimum Test Scores
|SAT||English: 360||Math: 500|
|ACT||English: 14||Math: 19|