MS/DI - How to Apply
Eighteen students (10 in Pocatello and 8 in Meridian) are admitted to the program with the April computer match. Two of the interns accepted to the internship in Pocatello will complete their rotations in Twin Falls.
Enrollment in the ISU and/or fulfillment of specific requirements does not ensure admission into the ISU Dietetic Internship program.
New students are admitted to the MS/Dietetic Internship
during the fall semester
Program eligibility and admission requirements must be met prior to beginning the Dietetic Internship:
- Grade point average of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics, Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics), or Food and Nutrition
- Didactic Program in Dietetics requirements completed (as established by ACEND® of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Verification statement of DPD coursework
Work experience in food service or health care is desirable, but not mandatory for admission
6-Step Application Process
Candidates should submit all application materials no later than February 15th for admission the following fall semester.
Step 1: Check to Confirm You Meet the Admission Requirements
Admission requirements and program eligibility include:
- BS Degree: Candidates must have a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics, Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics), or Food and Nutrition and have completed Didactic Program in Dietetics requirements as established by ACEND® of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Grade Point Average: A minimum grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Verification statement of DPD courses
- Work experience in food service or health care is desirable, but not mandatory for admission
Step 2: Set up Accounts with DICAS and D&D Digital
Centralized Application Service
The centralized application service allows internship applicants to submit one application, which they can submit to multiple internship programs
The fee to use DICAS is $50.00 for the first application submitted and $25.00 for each additional application
Computer Matching Service
The computer matching service pairs interns with internship programs
To participate in the dietetic internship match, you must also register online for the D & D Digital computer matching service and select your dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15
There is a $55.00 computer matching fee with D&D Digital
Step 3: Complete and Submit the DICAS Application
Give yourself plenty of time to complete the application. Some sections can be quite laborious to finish!
Write a personal statement in 8,000 characters or less, which answers the following questions:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
P.O. Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
Provide Reference Information
When completing the application form in DICAS, applicants MUST include the name and contact information (email address) for each reference:
- This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form
- The form will be completed online by two faculty members and one employer
Step 4: Complete ISU MS/DI Graduate Application
The ISU MS/DI is a combined Master of Science in Nutrition / Dietetic Internship Program.
Applicants must complete an application for admission into the Idaho State University Graduate School, which includes supplemental questions for the Dietetic Internship. For example, you must indicate your choice of ISU DI site(s) (Meridian and/or Pocatello/Twin Falls). You may apply for one or both locations.
Please submit your application to the ISU Graduate School on or before February 15:
- The reason that this date is earlier than the general date for applying to other graduate school programs is because of the Dietetic Internship component of the program.
- In order to have all the materials processed by the ISU Graduate School before the Dietetic Internship match, you must submit the materials early.
Please contact DI Director Char Byington at email@example.com.
Step 5: Participate in MS/DI Interviews
The Idaho State University Masters of Science / Dietetic Internship program will notify top ranked applicants for an interview during the month of March:
- The interview is an opportunity for ISU to learn more about you and for you to learn more about ISU
- Questions are aimed at getting a better idea about the DI applicant’s professional and communication skills, as well as level of medical nutrition therapy, food service management, and community nutrition knowledge
- Interviewees are also given the opportunity to ask questions and gather additional information about the ISU DI program
This interview will take place prior to Applicant Notification Day
Step 6: Accept or Reject the DI Match
D& D Digital informs each applicant of the final result of their matching
Students accepted into the ISU Masters of Science / Dietetic Internship must inform the DI Director if they accept/reject the computer match by 5:00 p.m. on Appointment Day of the program's time zone:
Char Byington, MEd, RDN, LD
Director, Dietetic Internship
Garrison Hall 620