What is CTE Advanced Opportunities?
CTE Advanced Opportunities is a program provided by the State of Idaho that allows high school students to earn college credit in technical programs, while still in high school, allowing them to get a jump-start on their college education. CTE Advanced Opportunities can help students develop a career path that can lead to rewarding, high-wage, high-demand careers in less time and with less cost. By earning college credit, students may finish their chosen degree sooner by applying those credits towards an Associate Degree at Idaho State University, College of Technology. If a four-year degree is a better fit, it’s possible to use the credits as electives in a Bachelor’s degree on lower campus at Idaho State University.
- High school students simultaneously earn credit toward a high school diploma and a postsecondary degree or certificate
- Technical Dual Credit is awarded for the successful completion of a course
- The cost is $65 per credit and fees are paid at the time of registration
- Eligible to use Fast Forward funding. Find more information on Fast Forward here.
- Students are enrolled as non-degree seeking, early college students
TECHNICAL COMPETENCY CREDIT
- High school students document proficiency in skills and competencies in an approved high school professional-technical program
- Competencies are evaluated for postsecondary transcription at a later date (up to two years)
- The cost is $10 per credit
- Not eligible to use Fast Forward funding
- Student must receive a B- (80%) or better in their class to be eligible for college credit
- If a student wants to receive college credit, they must complete the CTE - APPLICATION FOR TRANSCRIPTED CREDIT along with a $10 per credit fee
- Students have up to two years after completing the course to receive college credit
- For questions on how to transcript credit, please contact Tom Putnam at 282-4663
HOW DOES IT SUPPORT YOU?
- Allows students to earn college credit in high school
- Significant savings on college costs by earning low-cost credits in high school
- Eliminates duplication of courses
- Provides a jump start on college education and may shorten time needed to complete college
- Introduces basic skill development for specific vocations and careers
Access to Skillstack