Civil Engineering Technology
Civil engineering technicians obtain field data and prepare drawings and maps pertaining to angles, elevations, azimuth points, contours, and earthwork. They use electronic total stations, levels, global positioning surveying (GPS), and other instruments. They plan, design and perform construction staking tasks necessary for the construction of highways, railroads, bridges, buildings, airfields, subdivisions, and other facilities. They also perform testing and inspection tasks on the various construction operations to ensure compliance with specifications.
Aptitudes and Interests: Students will be required to learn and apply theoretical principles and technical knowledge easily, perform mathematical computations accurately, visualize shapes and forms from survey data or sketches, concentrate on details for long periods to avoid errors, and use judgment in planning work and handling problems. Students should like work of a scientific and technical nature involving preparation of maps, charts, and drawings. Students will also need an interest in learning CAD and other design software on computers and working with the latest electronic computers, surveying, and testing equipment. These civil engineering technicians work as a team and must exercise tact in dealing with persons who have opposing opinions. This field requires great precision and accuracy and workers must be willing to accept responsibility for performance in accordance with prescribed standards.
Graduates Employed or Continuing Education Last Year
Idaho Median Income
National Median Income
- Program begins in August
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Program admits 13 students each year
- The Civil Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
- The associate degree articulates to a bachelor’s degree in Geomatics Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology Associate of Applied Science (2 years)
- Course Sequence Associate of Applied Science Civil Engineering Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology Advanced Technical Certificate (2 years)
- Civil Engineering Technology Materials Testing and Specifications Basic Technical Certificate (1 years)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (4+ years)
- Engineering and surveying companies
- Local, state, and federal government agencies
- Materials testing companies
|New SAT||English: 360||Math: 500|
|Old SAT||English: 360||Math: 460|
|ACT||English: 14||Math: 19|
|COMPASS||Writing: 55||Algebra: 45|