Dont forget to Sign up for the Veterans Sanctuary Newsletter for updates about what is happening around campus. Click here to learn how
The Veterans Sanctuary at Idaho State University is the first transition and support program of its kind in the United States. Developed for vets, by vets, our mission is simple—to provide first- class service to military veterans of all eras attending ISU. We have a support team to provide assistance with G.I. Bill benefits and to offer guidance on campus from the moment student veterans arrive until they graduate. Our “one-stop-shop” approach allows vets to access all campus services, and many community services, through a single office.
Last summer, the Sanctuary moved into its current location on the third floor of the Pond Student Union Building on the Pocatello campus, and in doing so, became Idaho’s first college-or university-based veterans support center.
The program features:
- Free college preparation through ISU College of Technology to increase scores on entrance exams and reduce the need for costly remedial classes
- Access to in-state tuition for veterans and dependants who meet basic criteria
- Assistance with VA educational and medical benefits
- Orientation events for new student veterans
- Registration events that streamline the registration process and provide access to many campus services
- A complete veterans center with study areas, a conference room, lounge and kitchen
- Veterans’ academic and technical advising
- Free tutoring in all subjects
- Free group and individual counseling
- Resources for disabled veterans, including those with traumatic brain injuries
- Access to a VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor
- Student-run veterans clubs
- Free music lessons through the Soldier Songs program
- Events and activities for student veterans
- Workforce preparation and employment assistance
In recognition of our efforts, G.I. Jobs Magazine has listed ISU as a military-friendly school for 2010, 2011 and 2012, an honor bestowed upon the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools in the United States. In addition, the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) have awarded ISU with national citations.