Online Writing Tutoring
ISU's Writing Center offers online tutoring services for you when you aren't able to meet face-to-face with a tutor at our Pocatello or Idaho Falls locations. The online writing tutors are the same tutors you would meet with during an in-person session. Like face-to-face tutors, online tutors do not offer proofreading or editing services. Instead, they'll work directly with you to improve all aspects of your paper.
We offer two kinds of real-time chat: video and text. Real-Time Chat appointments take place in a chatroom during regular tutoring hours; the tutors you meet with are the same tutors you would meet with during an in-person session.
Video and Text
- If your computer has a camera and a microphone, you can see and speak to your writing tutor as if you were using Skype.
- If you don't have a camera and microphone or you don't want to use them, you can still chat screen to screen as if you were texting.
- Whichever you choose, both you and the tutor will be able to see your paper on screen.
- You can look at either the Pocatello or Idaho Falls books to find an available slot that works for you with a tutor who has "Face-to-face or online tutoring" under their name.
- Make your appointment for a one-hour slot and select "Yes-Meet Online" from the pull-down menu.
- After you "save" your appointment, you can"attach a file." Please attach the draft of your paper and, if possible, a copy of the assignment prompt.
- If you're making the appointment several days in advance and you're still working on your draft, you can wait to attach it until the day of your appointment. Just go back into the schedule and click on the appointment, which should show up as a red time slot.
Starting an Appointment
- When it's time for your appointment, go back into the online appointment book and click on the red appointment slot.
- On the screen that pops up, click "Join online session."
- The chatroom screen should appear and should look like the image below.
- If you have any difficulty, call us at 282-3662.
"48-hour feedback" is another type of online tutoring with the Writing Center in which you can send us a paper and get comments back within 48 working hours.
- 48-hour feedback appointments are available through the Pocatello appointment book.
- Four slots are available each morning from Monday-Thursday The appointment software calls this service "E-tutoring."
- Make a 30-minute appointment for a 1-4 page paper; make a 60-minute appointment for a 5-10 page paper.
- If your paper is more than 10 pages long, expect us to negotiate a new date for comments to be returned.
- Once you've saved your appointment, attach a draft of your paper and (if possible) a copy of the teacher's assignment prompt.
- Please send your document as a Microsoft Word file, if at all possible.
- If you're making the appointment several days in advance and you're still working on your draft, you can wait to attach it until the day of your appointment.
- To add a draft to an existing appointment, click on the appointment, which should show up as a red time slot.
- The tutor will not make changes in your paper. All feedback will be through comments in Microsoft Word.
- When the tutor has uploaded the paper with comments, you will be notified by email.
- If you have any difficulty, email us at email@example.com or call us at 208-282-3662.