Be a Tutor!
University Tutoring hires tutors in subjects ranging from American Sign Language to zoology in Pocatello, Idaho Falls and Meridian. Our tutors are typically undergraduate and graduate students, although we sometimes hire non-students to help with high-demand courses. Contact us to ask about openings. As a tutor, you won't just help other students be academically successful; you'll also learn more than you ever imagined about the subjects you tutor!
- Some tutors work just a few hours a week, and some may be able to work many more.
- Scheduling is worked out between the tutor and the program director (writing and math) or between the tutor and the students (CAT).
- For one-on-one math, writing, and CAT tutoring, wages starts at $9/hour for undergraduates and $11/hour for tutors with a BA/BS.
- For small-group CAT tutoring, wages start at $11/hour for undergraduates and $13/hour for tutors with a BA/BS.
- At the beginning of each new semester, wages rise with the amount of training completed. Five hours of training leads to a 25 cent increase; 10 hours leads to a 50 cent increase. Two further raises are available.
CAT and Math Tutor Requirements
- a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- a "B+" or better ("B" on a straight grade scale) in the course(s) you'd like to tutor. If you didn't take the course, ask the department chair or a faculty member teaching it to email us a short note explaining why you're qualified to tutor it.
- the endorsement of the department chair or a faculty member (endorsements cannot be accepted from graduate students) teaching the course. This endorsement must list the exact courses you may tutor.
- an official or unofficial transcript showing the letter grade you earned in the course.
Writing Tutor Requirements
- a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- a "B+" or better ("B" on a straight grade scale) in English 1102.
- a 3-5 page writing sample, preferably one using sources.
- the names of three people we may contact as references.
- Download our Be A Tutor application, fill it out, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org as an email attachment, or
- bring the completed application to the Student Success Center's offices in Pocatello (REND 323) or Idaho Falls (CHE 220), or
- pick one up from the Student Success Center's offices in Pocatello (REND 323) or Idaho Falls (CHE 220), complete it, and return it to us.