Group 8 Candidates
Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, Student Affairs
COUNSELING & TESTING CENTER
I have worked at Idaho State University as a full time staff member in Counseling and Testing for the past 8 years. During my time at Counseling and Testing I've moved my way up from AAI, AAII, and into the Testing Coordinator position. As the testing coordinator I've helped coordinate the implementation of ALEKS placement testing and have successfully navigated scheduling systems of our 10+ testing contracts. I've served as supervisor to an average of 10 student workers each year. During my time at ISU I've been involved with the start up of the START program and have helped on Financial Aid Appeals committees.
I received my Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and my Master of Counseling, Student Affairs from ISU. I am outspoken about how great ISU is and what a wonderful place it has been for me to work. I enjoy attending events put on by the university including athletic events, theatre events, concerts on the quad, etc.
Financial Aid Counselor
OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
I have worked at ISU since 2002. I started as a workstudy in the Scholarship Office, then became a temporary employee the summer after I graduated, and then full-time as an Office Specialist in the Financial Aid Office, and am currently a Financial Aid Counselor. I completed a bachelor's degree in Secondary Education in 2008 and then a Master's of Public Administration in 2017. I value customer service and have won multiple ISU Cares awards. I always say that I work in Financial Aid, which means I give money away, so students love me. It isn't always the case, but even when giving bad news it can be done in a compassionate way; which is what I always strive to be - compassionate about students and about ISU.
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
Laura McKenzie, Idaho State University Registrar, would be an amazing representative for Staff Council. My name is Michelle Mills and I am lucky to have been hired by Laura and by the Office of the Registrar in October of 2018. Even though I have been here only 7 months, I have learned how passionate and proud Laura is of Idaho State University, the students and her staff. Laura has created a dynamic team environment in the Office of the Registrar through her leadership and support of her 22 staff members. Laura is always available with an open door to listen and support her staff’s needs, ideas, and personal welfare. Laura is proactive in providing development of staff members and office policy and procedures to cultivate a great working environment.
Professionally, Laura has 18 years working in a University setting, having worked at Simpson University for 4 years as a Senior Admissions Counselor & Student Accounts Manager and 2 years as their Registrar. Laura has been at ISU for 12 years as the University Registrar.
Laura has proven to be committed to Idaho State University, the students and her staff. Laura’s long list of activities, achievements, professional development and committees she is on is proof of her active and caring role in all her interactions at ISU.
Professional Activities and Experience:
- Implemented Banner, Degree Works, Ad Astra, EMS and other higher education software.
- Coordinated a statewide course articulation website.
- Attained a 99.97% on program reporting with enrollment.
- Expanded electronic service to students and alumni.
- Revamped the student class registration experience.
- Presentations of Ellucian Live-Tuition Lock at ISU, Detail Student Enrollment Reporting through the National Student Clearinghouse and eTranscripts.
- Certified trainer for VitalSmarts Crucial Conversations.
- Has delivered 20 conference presentations and one webinar.
- Successfully served on 24 University Committees.
- Current or past member of several professional organizations including Idaho Registrars Council, North American Association of Commencement Officers, American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, Pacific Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and many more.