Students of Concern Team
What is the SOC Team?
A collaborative campus-wide team that provides behavioral assessment and intervention directed toward students with critical needs and concerns. The team is administered through the ISU Division of Student Affairs.
What are the major functions and roles of the SOC Team?
- Serves as a resource to campus community members with critical concerns about students’ behaviors and interactions.
- Receives referrals for concerns about students who are in critical distress (Distressing Students) and/or students who are threatening, disruptive, and/or aggressive (Threatening or Disruptive Students).
- Gathers pertinent and relevant information on referrals in order to determine a plan for services.
- Helps clarify the level of risk and threat in any occurrence or circumstance brought to the team’s attention.
- Coordinates timely and thoughtful responses and provision of support services for a student of concern and others impacted by this student.
- Ensures appropriate follow-up once interventions are identified and implemented.
When are a student’s behaviors considered to be at a level of critical concern or need for assistance?
Students who are in distress (Distressing Students)
A student whose behavior and use of resources are such that reasonable and informed parties are concerned about that student’s ability to succeed in the university environment and/or concerned about the student’s ability to succeed in a manner that is consistent with the individual’s own safety and welfare.
Students who are threatening, disruptive, and/or aggressive (Threatening or Disruptive Students)
A student whose behavior and use of resources are such that reasonable and informed parties are concerned about that student’s potential for engaging in violent and/or severely disruptive behavior.
Core Team Members (Referral Sources)
Lewis Eakins, Public Safety, 282-2515, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lowell Richards, Interim Vice-President for Student Affairs, 282-2794
Kris Clarkson, Director of Student Life, 282-2794, email@example.com
Other Permanent Team Members
James Francel, General Counsel, 282-3234 [Advisory Capacity]
Karina Rorris, Director, Disability Services, 282-3599
Joanne Tokle, Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs, 282-3520
Todd Johnson, Director, Veteran Student Services, 282-4298
Melissa Millican, Assistant Director, University Housing, 282-2120
Rick Pongratz, Director, University Counseling and Testing Service, 282-2130
Ron Solbrig, MD, Director and Physician, Student Health Center, 282-2330
Craig Thompson, Director, University Housing, 282-2120
Sheryl Yee, Student Support & Outreach Specialist, 282-2794
Specialty Team Members
(Based on individual student case)
Academic Deans/Faculty, Academic Advising, Financial Aid Office, International Programs,
ISU Religious Organizations, Campus Health Clinics and other systems as warranted.
Idaho Falls Campus
Public Safety, 282-2515 or 911
Ches Barnes, ISU Idaho Falls, Bennion Student Union, Director, 282-7866, firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Safety, 282-2515 or 911
Ali Crane, ISU Meridian Administration, Director of Student Life, 373-1706, email@example.com
Twin Falls Campus
Chris Vaage, ISU Twin Falls, 282-4840, firstname.lastname@example.org