Skip to main content

Using Controlled Substances in Research

Controlled substances used in research are regulated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). 

Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC) Division complies with DEA recommendations and requirements by publishing the following directions, with in-house forms, providing links to DEA direction and their forms. 

ROC has oversight of projects and people registered under Title 21 CFR 1300 – 1321.  

What does DEA require to Register for use of Controlled Substances? 

  1. Read the Controlled Substances Act – 21 CFR 1300 to end
  2. Complete DEA Form 225 – Manufacturer, Distributor, Researcher, Canine Handler, Analytical Laboratory, Importer, Exporter
  3. Register with Idaho State Board of Pharmacy

What does ISU require, once you are Registered?

  1. Provide Research Outreach & Compliance with copies (pdf file via email to within 10 business days of license receipt:
    • DEA License
    • Idaho State Board of Pharmacy license
    • Protocol submitted to DEA with application
  2. Follow ISU Purchasing rules when buying controlled substances for research
    • Contact Wendy Holder, Buyer, with questions, (208) 282-3111
  3. Dispose of controlled substances and their by-products through ISU Technical Safety Office
    • Contact TSO with disposal questions, (208) 282-2310
  4. Use ISU-specific forms for controlled substance management
    • Controlled Substance Order Form
    • Controlled Substance Log
    • Drug Disposal Log
    • Drugs on Hand
    • Drug Check out Log
  5. Participate in ROC bi-annual inspection (records & security)
  6. Follow other applicable ISU rules related to research and protocols

Which Policy Applies?

ISUPP-7120 Use of Controlled Substances in Research



Controlled Substance Procedure and Policy questions

Deb Easterly
Assistant VP Research
Research Outreach & Compliance

Controlled Substance Disposal

Richard Brey
Technical Safety Officer
Please use the Hazardous Waste Disposal Request form  
(208) 282-3627 or 282-2310

Research Outreach & Compliance  (ROC)

Contact Our Office:

Deb Easterly
Assistant Vice President for Research Outreach & Compliance
Phone: (208) 282-2618
Serving as ISU's
Research Integrity Officer
Export Control Officer   
Physical Address:
Business and Technology Center
1651 Alvin Ricken Drive, Room 107
Pocatello, ID 83201

Mailing Address:
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8046
Pocatello, ID 83209-8046


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209
(208) 282-4636

Discover opportunity at Idaho State University