With more serious injuries or illnesses, call 911 and Public Safety for assistance ON-CAMPUS at 2515 or OFF CAMPUS at 282-2515.
AEDs are located in most buildings of campus. Learn where the AED in your building is located.
Have a bystander wait at the entrance of the building to show the EMTs where the patient is located.
When the dispatcher answers be ready to give your name, describe the nature and severity of the injury or illness, and the location of the victim.
Persons administering first aid must be aware of the possible life threatening effects of pathogens as a result of exposure to bodily fluids.
Always take precautions and wear gloves and use a mouth to mouth piece for CPR if available.
Life saving techniques should be administered according to current Red Cross guidelines to avoid exposure to pathogens.
Do not attempt procedures or techniques beyond your abilities or training.
In the most common case of a minor injury or illness provide first aid care onlyto the extent of your training (Red Cross First Aid, CPR, etc.).
In the case of serious injury, trained personnel should quickly perform the following steps:
- Do not move the victim unless imminent danger exists. Examples include: fire structural damage, chemical spills, toxic fumes, explosion danger, etc.
- Keep the victim still and comfortable.
- Ask the victim, "Are you okay? What is wrong?"
- Check breathing and give artificial respiration if necessary. See current Red Cross guidelines for exposure to pathogens.
- Control bleeding by direct pressure on the wound. See current Red Cross guidelines for exposure to pathogens.
- Look for emergency medical ID on the victim.
- Question witnesses and be ready to give all information to the paramedics when they arrive.
- Stay with the victim until help arrives.
- Tell the EMTs what interventions you have taken.
Every office and department on campus should have persons trained in first aid and CPR.
Training is available through the local American Red Cross, and the ISU Wellness Center.
Public Safety: (208) 282-2911 | Parking: (208) 282-2625
Bengal Card Services: (208) 282-3618