Admission to the MPH Program
The Program Director will review MPH Program applications. Admission standards and application procedures are presented in the graduate bulletin. The Program Director and the Chair will admit prospective students who satisfy the MPH Program and Graduate School admission requirements. Applicants who do not completely satisfy requirements are referred to the MPH Admissions Committee ( MPH director, and MPH graduate faculty) to determine admission or denial.
For classified admission into the program, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Meet all requirements of the ISU Graduate School (please refer to the ISU Graduate Catalog. Applications must be submitted to the ISU Graduate School.
- Applicants must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA based on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. Eligible credits are determined by the Graduate School.
- Score an average of at least 40th percentile when considering both quantitative and verbal sections of the GRE general test but not lower than the 20th percentile in either section.
- An applicant who currently holds a graduate degree must submit their transcripts, but the undergraduate GPA requirement will not apply. College transcripts must be submitted to the ISU Graduate School.
- No other instruments such as the MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT may be substituted. Applicants currently holding degrees at the doctoral level from an accredited institution will not be required to submit GRE general test scores (this includes professional doctoral degrees such as PharmD, Juris Doctorate, Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine). All others holding degrees at the baccalaureate and master's level must submit GRE general test scores. Students who are admitted as Classified w/PR status without GRE scores must take the general test within their first semester of enrollment. Continuation in the program is contingent on the student meeting the above GRE score requirements. GRE scores must be submitted to the ISU Graduate School.
- Have two letters of recommendation from non-relative individuals familiar with your academic or professional abilities (no personal references) sent to the Public Health Program at the same time your application is sent to the Graduate School. The letters must be sealed with the signature of the recommender across the envelope flap.
- Two years of experience working in the health field is preferred for admission. A B.S. or B.A. degree in health or a health-related discipline may substitute for working experience. Applicants will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- Submit a typed essay (one to two pages, single-spaced) describing their interest in pursuing the MPH degree and their vision of how it will facilitate the candidate's career goals.
- International students who have not graduated from an accredited college or university in the US, and whose native language is not English, must achieve satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Satisfactory TOEFL requirements for classified admission are described in the ISU Graduate Catalog under “Admission of International Students.” In addition, international student applicants who have not graduated from an accredited college or university in the US must take the GRE and are required to score in the 40th percentile on at least one area of the GRE.
Applicants will not be considered until all above documentation has been submitted. Applications are due in accordance with ISU Graduate School application deadlines. International students shall abide by additional guidelines for applications as set forth in the ISU Graduate Catalog.
Public Health Program
Pocatello, Idaho 83209-8109