If you are an international student or scholar at Idaho State University and would like to apply for a Drivers License, Learners Permit, or State of Idaho Identification Card you will need to provide the following items to the Bannock County Courthouse Motor Vehicle Department:
- Your valid Passport with U.S. Visa.
- Your I-94 card.
- Both your new and old valid Form I-20 – If you do not have a Form I-20 from I.S.U. with a red entry stamp you will need to request a Driver’s License Letter from the International Programs Office.
- Proof of residency/current local address clearly showing your full name and address – i.e. Rental/Housing agreement, School Registration Form w/fees from I.S.U., Paycheck stub, or utility bill such as gas, water, power, phone or cell phone.
- Social Security Card or Social S ecurity Denial Letter (see below) from the Social Security Administration – A Social Security Denial letter may be obtained at the Social Security Administration office located at 861 Jefferson Ave, Suite B, Pocatello (866)-643-3407.
- The Bannock County Courthouse Motor Vehicle Department will collect all necessary documents listed above.
- The Bannock County Courthouse Motor Vehicle Department will charge you $9.50 when you arrive to take your written test.
- Testing is conducted between 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M.
- Bannock County Motor Vehicle Department will issue a Learners Permit (so that a professional instructor can teach you how to drive) only after passing the written test.
- You will be given a list of local driving testers.
- You will be responsible to call and make an appointment for your driving test.
- The driving tester will give you a sealed envelope at the completion of your test. Bring the sealed envelope back to the Bannock County Motor Vehicle Department with all of your documents.
- Upon successfully passing both the written and driving test, you will be issued your State of Idaho Drivers License.
Preparing for the Written Driver's Test
For a free resource to prepare for the driver knowledge test, visit https://dmv-permit-test.com/idaho/practice-test-1.html
Local Driving Schools and Instructors
Armstrong Driving School
995 S. Arthur
Always Traffic Safety
1920 North Harrison Avenue
Ace Driving School
424 W Lewis
Bruce's Driving School
3976 North Gateway Drive
R&R Driving School
Pocatello, Idaho, USA 83209-8038