Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if there is a mental health emergency?

When University students or staff have an immediate mental health concern for themselves or another person, they can contact our office at 282-7750. Our counselors are available for emergencies and consultations from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday during the regular school year. For summer hours and resources please call 282-7750 prior to coming in as counseling staff is not always available during summer hours. After normal working hours, emergency response is initiated by contacting Campus Security at 282-2515 or by dialing 911. Counseling staff also coordinate and assist with follow-up to such emergencies.

How do I know if I need counseling?

There is no single answer to this question. In general most people can handle most of life’s problems on their own or with the help of family or friends. There are times, however, when we “get stuck” or can’t figure out the solution on our own. When people develop problems of sufficient severity, professional assistance is needed. Also, many times college students find they are long-distance from their friends and family…they don’t have their usual support network to turn to. These are times when counseling may be helpful. Here is a list of some signs that counseling might be needed. This is not a comprehensive list, but contains some of the more common signs.

Feeling "down in the dumps" most days
Crying often and over things that you might not usually get upset about
Binge eating or drinking
Poor appetite
Not enjoying usual activities
Fatigue or sleep problems
Having a hard time paying attention or concentrating
Feeling fearful
Feeling lonely - nobody understands you
Feeling hopeless- no hope for the future
Feeling nervous or jittery
Feeling stressed-out with school or having academic problems
Feeling out of control
Irritability, not getting along with people
Thoughts of harming yourself or someone else
Engaging in self-destructive behavior

Does it mean that I am “crazy” if I need counseling?

No. Counseling is designed to help people acquire more effective skills for dealing with school and life’s challenges. People seek counseling for a wide range of problems. Some people come to improve decision-making skills, while others come because they feel overwhelmed by the stressors in their lives. No matter what the reason, we all need help at times. Help may come from a good friend, a faculty member, family, a religious support person, or a professional counselor.

What can I expect from my first visit?

To make an initial appointment with one of our counselors, come to Counseling, Testing and Career Services in room 223 in the Bennion Student Union. You will be asked to fill out some paperwork and then we will schedule an appointment for you. During the initial session you will be asked about what brings you to counseling and any other relevant history. During this session you and your counselor will determine what kind of counseling will be most appropriate for you. If it is determined that you would benefit from our services, you will either continue to meet with the counselor who did your intake assessment or you will be assigned to a different counselor. Call us at 282-7750 for more information.

Is counseling confidential?

Counseling, Testing and Career Services counseling records are separate from other University records and are defined as confidential medical records by both state and federal law. As a general rule we do not share information about clients with anyone outside the counseling services staff. There are, however, a few exceptions to the rule, such as client requests in writing that we share information, legal situations that may involve cases of child/elder abuse or neglect, subpoenas to release information, or situations where the client is a danger to self or others. Please feel free to ask your counselor for more information about confidentiality and its limits.

Will my counseling records be a part of my academic records?

All records are confidential and are not part of the academic record.

How many sessions am I eligible for?

Counseling, Testing and Career Services offers short-term therapeutic services to address a specific area of concern which is determined during the initial appointment. We do not have a specific limit to the number of sessions.

Is my spouse or partner eligible for services?

Your spouse or partner is eligible to join you for couples counseling services as long as at least one of you is registered as a student.

Where should I go to get counseling if I am not a student?

You need to be enrolled in a class to be eligible to receive counseling (partners are sometimes seen with the student as a part of couples counseling). If you do not qualify for counseling you may call us at 282- 7750 for referrals.

What if I want more information?

Don’t hesitate to call Counseling, Testing and Career Services at 282-7750 for more information.


(208) 282-7800

1784 Science Center Drive

Idaho Falls, ID, 83402


Be a Bengal Recognition Program