The History Department provides a multi-dimensional approach to study of the human experience across time and space.
In doing so, the department pursues the following goals:
- To provide high quality instruction and educational experiences to undergraduate and graduate students;
- To complement the work of other departments and units within the University by providing their students with historical perspectives relevant to their fields of specialty, and by promoting understanding of diverse cultures;
- To pursue the innovative use of new technology in teaching, in the analysis of historical resources, and in facilitating access to historical resources in diverse media;
- To engage in research in our fields of expertise and to disseminate the results through publication and participation in conferences and workshops;
- To help meet the needs of people and institutions within the state and region by providing historical resources and promoting informed public discussion of history;
- To provide consultation and advice in our fields of expertise to officials and organizations in government and civil society at the local, national, and international levels.