ISU Health Fair
"Providing evidence-based health education and information, activities and demonstrations, and screenings to promote awareness of healthy lifestyle habits and disease prevention among the participants to empower people to live healthier lives."
Idaho State University (ISU) Pond Student Union Ballroom - March 5, 2020
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
The event will showcase ISU's Kasiska Division of Health Sciences (KDHS) clinics. KDHS faculty and students will offer these free health screening services:
- Blood pressure, pulse, and height and weight assessment by ISU Nursing faculty and students
- Depression and anxiety screening by the ISU Psychology Clinic faculty and students
- Fall risk screening by ISU Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy faculty and students
- Foot assessment and care by ISU Nursing faculty and students
- Hearing screening by ISU Audiology faculty and students
- Laboratory services provided by Portneuf Medical Center and ISU Medical Lab Sciences faculty and students
- Medication review and evaluation by ISU Pharmacy faculty and students
- Oral health screening by ISU Dental Hygiene students
- Traumatic brain injury screening by ISU Counseling Clinic faculty and students
After visiting the screening stations, attendees can talk with a "health action plan" team:
- ISU Dietetic faculty and students to answer nutrition and lifestyle questions
- ISU Clinic, KDHS faculty and students, and Health West - ISU care coordinators to review screening results and provide recommendations for follow-up appointments
Food demonstrations will be offered throughout the day by ISU Nutrition and Dietetic students:
- 9:00 a.m.: Smoothies
- 10:30 a.m.: Energy bites
- 12 p.m.: Heart-healthy and diabetes-friendly lunch sampler
- 1:30 p.m.: Easy salsa with tortilla chips
- 3:00 p.m.: Veggies with hummus or Greek yogurt dip
As always, the 2020 Idaho State Univeristy Health Fair will include educational booths and displays from Idaho State University programs and community businesses.
Event parking is free in the Pond Student Union parking lot during the time of the Idaho State University Health Fair. Additionally, a free shuttle service will be available from the Holt Arena to the Pond Student Union to allow for additional parking (last shuttle leaves the Pond Student Union at 5:40 PM).
FOOD DEMO SPONSORS
Operation Heart & Operation Diabetes
Nel's Bi-Lo Market
Discounted Laboratory Services offered by Portneuf Medical Center
- HDL, LDL, and VLDL cholesterol tests
- Triglycerides test
- Blood glucose (sugar) test
- Liver, kidney, muscle, and heart function tests
- Complete blood count
- Thyroid stimulating hormone test
Blood draws are available all day (8 AM - 6 PM) during the 2020 Idaho State University Health Fair.
Pre-Health Fair blood draws are available February 1, 2020, through March 4, 2020, at Portneuf Medical Center Laboratory Services - Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Results for blood work drawn at Portneuf Medical Center Laboratory Services by March 1 will be available for pick-up and review at the 2020 Idaho State University Health Fair and can be reviewed by a KDHS faculty or Health West Health Action Plan team member.
Post-Health Fair blood draws are available March 6, through March 15, 2020, at Portneuf Medical Center Laboratory Services - Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
For more information about the 2020 Idaho State University Health Fair, please contact Carol Kirkpatrick, PhD, RDN, Health Fair Planning Committe Chair, at email@example.com or (208) 282-3559.