ISU Pond Student Union Building March 7, 2019
7:00 AM – 7:00 PM
While the annual ISU Health Fair may have been taking place for nearly 30 years, those attending this year’s event will have a vastly different experience, all with the goal of improving their health and quality of life. Among the highlights for 2019 are a visit from Lance Pekus, Cowboy Ninja and Idaho rancher featured on multiple seasons of the hit show American Ninja Warrior. Other new features at this year’s fair include live food demonstrations and brief educational presentations from ISU Kasiska Division of Health Sciences (KDHS) faculty on a variety of health and wellness topics, such as hearing health, oral health, preventing injury while exercising, and autism spectrum disorder.
The event will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the ISU Pond Student Union and will showcase ISU’s Kasiska Division of Health Sciences (KDHS) clinics. KDHS faculty and students will offer free health screening services, including blood pressure screenings, point-of-service diabetes screening tests (blood glucose [sugar] and A1c), foot exams, dental screenings, hearing screenings, and medication reviews. The ISU Health Fair will offer learning centers, educational booths, and displays from ISU programs and community businesses.
Services available at the KDHS Clinics health-screening event:
- Blood pressure, pulse, and height and weight assessment by ISU Nursing faculty and students
- Depression and anxiety screening by the ISU Psychology Clinic faculty and students
- Fall risk screening by ISU Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy faculty and students
- Foot assessment and care by ISU Nursing faculty and students
- Hearing screening by ISU Audiology faculty and students
- Medication review and evaluation by ISU Pharmacy faculty and students
- Nutrition education and information by ISU Dietetic faculty and students
- Oral health screening by ISU Dental Hygiene students
- Traumatic brain injury screening by ISU Counseling Clinic faculty and students
- Summarizing a health action plan by Health West ISU
- Laboratory services provided by ISU Bengal Lab and Medical Lab Sciences faculty and students
After visiting the screening stations, attendees will be offered the opportunity to talk with a care team provider from Health West ISU and KDHS faculty and students, who will review each person’s screening results and provide a customized Health Action Plan (HAP), including recommendations for follow up appointments and lifestyle adjustments.
Pekus, who lives in Salmon, ID, and is sponsored by the Idaho Beef Council, will be on hand to share his experiences and sign autographs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. At 12 p.m., Pekus will give a 30-minute presentation about his journey as an Idaho rancher, husband, and cowboy ninja in the Bengal Theater. Other educational presentations by KDHS faculty and students and special guest presentations sponsored by the Idaho Beef Council include:
- 9 a.m. Hearing Health in Adults - Debbie Vieira, M.S. Audiologist, ISU Dept. of Audiology
- 10 a.m. Autism Spectrum Disorder - Robert Rieske, PhD, ISU Dept. of Psychology
- 10:30 a.m. Aging and Oral Health - Colleen Stephenson, RDH-ER, MS - ISU Dept. of Dental Hygiene
- 11 a.m. Preventing Injury While Getting Fit – Derek Gerber, PT, DPT, ISU Dept. of Physical Therapy
- 12 p.m. Lance Pekus, Cowboy Ninja, sponsored by Idaho Beef Council
- 2:30 p.m. Hearing Loss in Kids - Corrie Smith, AuD, ISU Dept. of Audiology
- 4:30 p.m. Cavity-Free Kids - Colleen Stephenson, RDH-ER, MS, ISU Dept. of Dental Hygiene
- 5 p.m. No Pain, No Gain - No Way - Derek Gerber, PT, DPT, ISU Dept. of Physical Therapy
- 5:30 p.m. Simply Delicious: Confident Cooking with Beef – Kristen Jensen, Consumer Educator, Idaho Beef Council
- 6 p.m. Autism Spectrum Disorder - Robert Rieske, PhD, ISU Dept. Psychology
For more information about the 2019 ISU Health Fair, contact Carol Kirkpatrick, PhD, RDN, Health Fair Planning Committe Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 282-3559.
Please call (208) 251-6260 for any questions related to blood work and/or the Bengal Lab.
Discounted Laboratory Services through ISU Bengal Lab
Blood screenings at the ISU Health Fair are always offered at reduced rates. Attendees can have all of the following tests performed:
HDL, LDL, and VDL cholesterol test
Blood glucose (sugar) test
Liver, kidney, muscle, and heart function tests
Complete blood count
Thyroid stimulating hormone test
Other blood screening tests are available, and members of the community can either have their blood drawn at the ISU Health Fair or make an appointment with the Bengal Lab for blood draws. Participants do not need to be fasting to have their blood drawn.
Pre-Health Fair blood draws are available February 1, 2019, through March 6, 2019.
Results for blood work drawn by March 1 will be available for pick-up and review at the 2019 ISU Health Fair and can be reviewed by a KDHS faculty or Health West Health Action Plan team member.
Post-Health Fair blood draws are available March 8, through March 15, 2019.
Please call (208) 251-6260 to schedule an appointment. The Bengal Lab is open from 8 AM - 4 PM Monday through Thursday and by appointment only on Friday.
The Bengal Lab is located in Leonard Hall Room 161 in the College of Pharmacy (Building #8), which is near the south end of the ISU Hutchinson Quadrangle.
Parking is available in the ISU general parking lot. Signs will say “Bengal Lab Parking Only” during February.