News items from ISU Marketing and Communications
Idaho State University rodeo has another strong year; Women’s Team ranked No. 1 in region, heads to nationals June 11-17
April, 13, 2017
POCATELLO –The Idaho State University Women’s Rodeo Team finished No. 1 and its member Makayla Boots won the women’s all-around in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association (NIRA) Rocky Mountain Region, competing against 10 other teams.
This is the fifth straight year the ISU Women’s Rodeo Team has finished first in its region. ISU rodeo coach and Rodeo Club advisor Melissa Moon was also honored as the Coach of the Year in the region.
Four members of the Women’s Rodeo Team will compete at the College National Finals Rodeo June 11-17 in Casper, Wyoming. Two members of the ISU Men’s Rodeo Team will also compete at the nationals.
In the NIRA Rocky Mountain Region ISU competed against College of Southern Idaho, Colorado Mesa University, Colorado Northwest Community College, Dixie College, Snow College, Southern Utah University, Utah State University, Utah State University Eastern, Utah Valley University and Weber State University.
“We had another great season in the region and we will work hard to have success at the College National Finals Rodeo,” Moon said. “This is a great group of team members to have worked with, and our women’s team has a shot at winning nationals.”
Here are the highlights of the ISU Women’s Rodeo Team:
- Boots took first in goat tying and the women's all-around, and will compete at nationals in goat tying and breakaway roping.
- Remie Taylor took first in the barrels and will compete in this event at nationals.
- Bailey Smith took fourth in the breakaway roping and will compete in this event at nationals.
- Darcey Maddock took sixth in the goat tying and will compete in this event at nationals.
Here are the ISU Men’s Rodeo Team highlights:
- Taylor Skinner took second and Kolbey Hughes took third in calf roping. They will compete in this event at nationals.