The Department of Enviromental Health and Safety (EHS) coordinates a variety of materials handling and waste disposal-related training. Most of this training is required by state and federal regulations to be completed by faculty, staff and students on an annual basis. It is also part of the best practices for use of these substances.
Meeting these requirements is essential to maintain ISU licenses and permits for the use of radioactive and pathogenic, as well as hazardous, substances for research and educational purposes.
Many training courses and examinations are available online.
If you have questions regarding whether you have completed required training, contact the EHS at (208) 282-2310.
- Contamination Control Training (PDF)
- Hazardous & Chemical Waste at ISU – Awareness Video
- Hydrofluoric Acid Training – CAES
- Laboratory Safety and Use of Radionuclides Training (Powerpoint)
- Radiation Introduction Training (Initial Course)
- Radiation Safety Training – Initial Course Study Guide
- Radiation Refresher Training (must pass Initial Course)
- Radiation Refresher Training – Study Guide
- Radiation Safety Training for Public Safety Officers
- Radiation Safety Training for Custodial Personnel
- Training Video for Non-Radiation Workers
- X-Ray Machines Study Guide
- Screening People for External Contamination: How to Use Hand-held Radiation Survey Equipment (video)
Chemical Hygiene & Laboratory Hazard Communication Training
For all staff, students and faculty who deal with chemicals in any capacity there is a required self enrolled Moodle course. It deals with the following
- ISU's Safety Data sheets (SDS) database
- how to navigate and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Hazard Classification and Pictograms
- Labels and Other Forms of Warning
- Protective Measures
- Compressed Gas Safety
- Contacts for Hazard Communication Questions/Concerns Written Hazard Communication Program
To self-enroll, in the Moodle course, first log into your moodle account. select site home on the left side-bar, then scroll down to search courses near the bottom, and search for EHS, and select EHS - 01 Chemical Hygiene & Laboratory Hazard Communication.
Environmental Health & Safety Office
Physical Sciences Building, Rooms: 105, 101A, 101B, 102. 103 and 123B
785 South 8th Ave.
Pocatello, ID 83209
921 South 8th Ave Stop 8106
Pocatello, ID 83209
Phone: (208) 282-2310
Fax: (208) 282-4649 (shared with Physics)