The ALEKS placement assessment is Free of Charge for ISU students. For more information call Counseling and Testing at 208-282-2130.
A student's SAT, ACT, or ALEKS score is used to determine Math Course Placement. Students who have completed a MATH pre-requisite class with a grade of C- or better, or have an equivalent test score, are allowed to register for the next level math class.
The ALEKS placement assessment determines a student's readiness for various math courses. It may also be used as a tool to assist in determining math strengths and weaknesses. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately assess student knowledge.
ALEKS Prep and Learning Module
After taking the initial ALEKS placement assessment, students may use the ALEKS Prep and Learning Module (PPL) as a self study tutorial to refresh their math skills. Students may then retake the ALEKS placement assessment in order to improve their math placement score. This strategy can be used to bypass one or more pre-requisite math courses.
- Students have a total of 5 free attempts to get the math placement they want.
- A minimum of 5 hours is required in the PPL before a student can retake the ALEKS placement assessment. Students have the opportunity to use the PPL between assessments to increase their knowledge and improve their placement score.
- Research shows that 85% of students who spend 5 hours or more in the PPL mode will test into at least one math class higher than their initial placement.
For answers to math placement questions, contact your advisor. To find your advisor:
- Log on to Bengal Web
- Select Academic Tools
- Go to the Registration Tools channel
- click on "My Registration and Schedule Information (My Profile)"
Pocatello, ID. 83209
8 AM to 5 PM, Monday-Friday
8 AM to 4 PM, Monday-Friday