Master of Public Health
As of August 2014, the Master of Public Health degree is now a fully online program.
Idaho State University's Master of Public Health (MPH) program is unique to the state of Idaho. It is the only MPH program in Idaho that is accredited by the Council for Public Health (CEPH).
The goal of public health is to improve the health of populations through the planning, implementing, and evaluating health promotion and disease-prevention programs. Public health professionals design intervention programs by using a combination of health education and related organizational, economic, legislative, and environmental support to enhance the probability of creating a healthier populace.
Focusing on community health emphasis courses include an acquisition of requisite public health knowledge and skills in the areas of epidemiology, biostatistics, health care ethics, health organization and policy, health program planning and evaluation, health marketing, health education promotion, research methodology and environmental health.
This program is designed to meet the needs of working individuals; classes are offered at night and online. MPH classes are offered in Pocatello and Boise through distance learning.
The mission of the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program at Idaho State University is to improve the health and well-being of human populations through the application of the essential services of public health by excellence in instruction, community service, research, and continuing professional education.
MPH Program Goals
Goal One - INSTRUCTION: To deliver an evidence-based academic program that prepares students for public health practice.
Goal Two - RESEARCH: To promote and support public health research and scholarly endeavor, and provide leadership in public health priorities.
Goal Three - COMMUNITY SERVICE: To support students and faculty in demonstrating public health leadership and contributing to public health at the local, state, and national level.
Goal Four—CONTINUING EDUCATION: To strengthen the existing public health workforce by providing advanced skills, knowledge, and professional learning opportunities throughout Idaho.
Why Choose ISU
- The only CEPH accredited MPH program in Idaho
- The Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals is integrated into the curriculum.
- Online course format is accessible for working individuals and those from rural areas
- Flexible opportunities for US and international internships
- Internships provide hands-on learning experiences for students in a public health setting
- Faculty are actively engaged in research and professional and community service
- Research opportunities are available for students to assist with existing projects or to develop their own through the thesis project