ISU Speech and Language Clinic
Speech and Language Fast Facts
ISU's Speech Language Program: Is fully accredited by the American Speech, Language, and Hearing Association (ASHA)
Has 99% Praxis (national certification exam) pass rates
Has 100% employment rates for graduates
Is the only Speech-Language Pathology program in the state of Idaho.
Offers an on-line pre-professional program (leveling coursework prior to enrolling in a master's program) that is one of only 3 in the nation
650 Memorial Drive Building #68
Pocatello, ID 83209
The clinic is located directly across from Portneuf Medical Center. Parking is labeled clinic patient parking or you may get a parking pass from the clinic secretary upon arrival.
Fall clinic begins the first week in September and continues through the first week in December. Spring clinic begins in mid January and continues through the last week in April. The clinic is closed for student holidays. The clinic has an active waiting list, to which you may be added by calling the clinic office year round. Clinic hours are by appointment, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Phone: (208) 282-3495
Email: Judy Jones
Web link: Speech Pathology
Services & Fees
Services provided for adults and children include evaluation and treatment of:
- Articulation Receptive and Expressive Language Voice Fluency/Stuttering Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
- Pragmatic (social) Skills Accent Reduction Communication difficulties following stroke or traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Speech and Language Evaluation: $150
Individual Speech and Language Therapy: $45 per session
Group Speech and Language Therapy: $25 per session
Communication Preschool: $25 per session (3 X week)
The clinic secretary can provide you with information to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. We offer a sliding fee scale dependent upon the number of family members and annual gross adjusted income. Payment is generally due at the time of service, though we also offer payment plans.
The Speech and Language Clinic boasts of 8 state of the art clinic rooms with audio and video recording capabilities, in addition to a preschool room for group activities. The clinic also houses a Nasometer, Visipitch, Speech Viewer, and multiple AAC devices for assessments and trail treatment. Coming soon: Flexible Naso-Endoscope and Electromyography (EMG).
Benefits to Students
Students in the ISU Speech and Language Clinic are able to work with a variety of clients during the clinical portion of their program. Timely feedback from on-site clinical faculty allows students to gain experience across the age span in a variety of disorder areas. The focus of clinical education is ethical, functional assessment and treatment that enhances clients' day to day lives in work, school, and home settings. Students are given opportunities to work with other disciplines such as occupational and physical therapy, special education, and psychology. Students also gain clinical experiences in affiliated off campus sites such as hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, public schools, and private practice. The master's degree program is designed to foster students' ability to adapt to the future, provide leadership, and enter the workforce in schools, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, private practice or doctoral programs.
Professional Service Contributions
- State and national professional association activities
- Provider of continuing education for community professionals through the Annual Winter Symposium (January)
- Biennial NSSLHA (student organization) spring conference
- Students and faculty are involved in many community screening clinics and provide screening services to the local school districts as well as to private organizations.
Faculty & Staff
- Sarah Knudson, MS, CCC-SLP, Clinic Coordinator/Clinical Assistant Professor, 282.2219
- Brenda Malepeai, MS, CCC-SLP, Clinical Professor, 282.2197
- Joni Loftin, MSP, CCC-SLP, Clinical Professor, 282.4576
- Janene Willer, MA, CCC-SLP, Clinical Associate Professor, 282.3827
- Jude Jones, Clinic Secretary, 282.3495