Cosmetologists perform a variety of beauty services which cover all phases of the beauty culture such as manicuring, shampooing, hair styling, make-up application, temporary and permanent hair waving, hair straightening, bleaching and tinting, and various skin and scalp treatments. Cosmetologists often specialize in any one or more of these services. The art of hairstyling is no longer the major activity in the cosmetology industry. It has grown to be an increasingly complex and artistic profession. Strong human relations skills and the ability to communicate with people are of major importance.
Aptitudes and Interests: Good hand, finger and eye dexterity combined with artistic and creative skills enhance the ability to succeed in this field. Communication and human relation skills are also invaluable.
- Program accepts students in August and January
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Program admits 40 students each year
- The nail technology option is only offered in the summer
- Program has a mandatory summer session
- Cosmetology Advanced Technical Certificate (1.5 years)
- Nail Technology Basic Technical Certificate (.5 year)
- Salon ownership
- Beauty salons and spas
- Platform artists for companies
- Makeup artists
|ACT||English: 14||Math: 14|
|SAT||English: 360||Math: 320|
Paying for College
You may apply for financial aid, scholarships, grants, and loans to help finance your college education. When you pay registration fees, you are a student of Idaho State University with the privileges and responsibilities of a college student.